How to obtain your Maryland "Non-Beverage Permit" Walkthrough Tutorial

The State of Maryland requires individuals and businesses to obtain a permit for the purchase and import of nondenatured food grade ethanol, including Culinary Solvent.  Use this page as a guide to completing the permit process to purchase food grade alcohol in Maryland.
  • Who must complete this form:  Any individual or business of Maryland who wishes to purchase industrial alcohol must first obtain a Non-Beverage Permit (Form 328).
  • Rules and Regulations
  • Initial License Fee: $50
  • Renewal Frequency: Valid until cancelled or revoked.
  • Approximate Time to Complete All Forms: 10 minutes

Blank Form Downloads

State Authority Information

  • Issuing Authority: Comptroller of Maryland
  • Issuing Authority Website:
  • Phone:  1-800-638-2937
  • Mailing Address:  Comptroller of Maryland, Field Enforcement Division, Regulatory and Licensing Section, P.O. Box 2999, Annapolis, Maryland 21404-2999

Follow these steps to complete the Maryland license process:

Step 1​: Download a blank copy of Form 328 permit application(pdf link above), and fill out the requested information as follows:


Step 2: Starting on page 1, check the box labelled "NC-Non-Beverage "C"". You will then need to complete sections 1, 2, 4, and 10.


Section 1 A-D: Start by checking the "New Permit" box. Then fill out your individual or business information.



Section 1 E-F: Next check off what you are applying as and enter your Federal Employer ID number. Then list any other alcoholic beverage permits you or your company currently holds. (Federal and State) If you do not have any other permits or licenses then write "NONE" on the first line. 


Section 1 G-K: The rest of Section 1 continues onto page 2. Answer questions G through K.

Section 1 L: Answer the workers compensation question. If you answered with "b" list your insurance company and policy number.


Section 2 A-B: Complete Section 2. For question "A" explain what you will use industrial alcohol for (i.e. making tinctures). Then for question "B" leave it blank. 


Section 4 A: List your business address and any other locations that you might store the alcohol in.

Section 4 B: Give a physical description of the building where the alcohol will be stored. Then give the distance to the nearest prominent landmark in your town.

Section 4 C: Enter in the owner of the building the alcohol will be stored in.

Section 4 D: Enter in the mailing address of the building owner.


Section 4 E: Have the building owner(s) enter in the date and then print and sign their names.


Section 10: Have an owner, partner, or corporate officer sign and print their names. Then enter their title within the company and date the application.

Step 3: Mail completed application with fee included to: Comptroller of Maryland, Field Enforcement Division Regulatory and Licensing Section, P.O. Box 2999 Annapolis, Maryland 21404-2999

Step 4: Receive back your approved permit via mail.  Allow 30 days for processing.  If it has been 31 days and you have not yet received a response, inquiries can be made to 1-800-638-2937 Monday-Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm Eastern Time.

If there is a problem with your application you will receive mail detailing the issue and suggested corrective measures.

All done!  Upon approval, the agency listed above will issue your permit to the email address used on your application.  Follow the steps below to complete your purchase of Culinary Solvent.

Steps After Permit Approval

Send us your permit:  Email a copy of your approved permit to

Place your order: Use the secure online storefront at to select your product and enter your payment details.

Shop here for Culinary Solvent food grade alcohol from Shop here for Cculinary Solvent food grade alcohol from

Ready to get
to making?

Step 1: Buy Culinary Solvent