How to Buy Food Grade Ethanol in Maryland

Updated: March 2024 by Joshua Hopkins

Maryland's laws require a permit for undenatured ethanol. Follow the steps below to buy pure undenatured food grade alcohol direct from the distillery in Maine.

how to buy food grade ethanol in Maryland

Steps to Buy Food Grade Ethanol in Maryland

To buy food grade ethanol in Maryland, follow these steps:

  1. Read and understand the rules for Maryland governing 200 proof undenatured food grade alcohol products like Culinary Solvent.

  2. Download your blank permit and follow our instructions for Maryland customers to complete their Permit to Purchase Alcohol.

  3. Submit the completed permit application to your state authority and await approval, which is typically two to three business days.

  4. Send a copy of your approved permit to

  5. Proceed to checkout using our online store powered by Shopify.  We'll provide tracking information once your order is packed for pickup by FedEx or UPS, with automated updates during transit through to delivery confirmation.

  6. Prepare for Delivery: All orders ship requiring an adult signature at time of delivery.  Be sure that someone over the age of 21 is available to sign and accept the package upon arrival.  Due to the nature of the product being shipped, PO boxes and hold requests at local FedEx or UPS locations are not allowable destinations, all orders must ship to a physical address and be signed for at delivery. Not going to be home at time of delivery to sign for your package? Read our helpful tips for successful order delivery here for more information.

    shipping food grade ethanol to maryland made simple

  7. Get Ready to Start Making! Do you have all of the other supplies and ingredients ready to get started ASAP?  If not, no worries, your food grade alcohol will store safely in the leak-proof bottle it was delivered in without losing proof or being affected by the bottle materials.  Visit our helpful page for more tips on storing your food grade alcohol between uses.

    200 proof food grade alcohol for herbalists and tincture making recipes

Transit Time for Shipping to Maryland

From our distillery in Maine to Maryland, your order of Culinary Solvent should arrive in approximately four business days, allowing one additional business day for fulfillment and processing time.

Depending on where you live, Saturdays and Sundays are sometimes counted as business days. All orders are processed within one business day of receipt, Monday through Friday (with the exception of certain holidays).

Orders are never "backordered" and are fulfilled as quickly as possible; if we suspect a delay in fulfillment, we will let you know as soon as we do. You will receive a tracking number and an estimated delivery date directly from your carrier after your order has been fulfilled at the distillery (typically within one business day after ordering).

    Shipping Made Simple

    Shipping hazardous materials (hazmat) can feel like -- and be -- a complicated and confusing process.  Furthermore, many states also regulate the sale and import of alcohol, beverage or otherwise.  The shipment of ethyl alcohol (ethanol) like Culinary Solvent is regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT), which means certain restrictions and regulations can impact how and where you are able to ship it. 

    Because of the extra steps that can impact your order from, we have built a state-specific database to make shipping simple, no matter where you live.

    Restrictions, regulations, and permit requirements for shipping ethanol vary by state.  The map below is intended to assist you in understanding the restrictions or regulations your state might have before placing your order on Simply scroll to your state below to learn more about shipping ethanol to your address, residential or otherwise.  For all states that allow the import and sale of ethanol, we have included blank PDFs of all forms or permits if required, making your steps for obtaining a permit (if required by your state) as simple as a few clicks away. 

    Note that this page is intended to provide you with state-specific information on shipping, such as permits and regulations.  For all other more general shipping questions not covered by this page -- such as processing time, how to request a signature at delivery, and shipping fees explained -- see our FAQ page

    How to Read the Shipping Map 

    Green: no permits required or restrictions on the shipping ethanol. You are ready to place your order; no further steps required!

    Yellow: a permit is required before purchase.  Use the resources below our shipping map for more details, including a comprehensive walk through and PDF download of any forms or permits required.

    Orange: a permit and five-gallon minimum required for purchase.  Use the resources below our shipping map for more details, including a comprehensive walk through and PDF download of any forms or permits required.  Note: you cannot order single pints, quarts, or gallons due to the five-gallon minimum requirement. 

    Grey: importation of food grade alcohol/ethanol is prohibited.  Unfortunately, you cannot order from at this time.  Check back often as regulations do actually change!

     Food Grade Ethanol Permit and Shipping Rules Map - Culinary Solvent

    Food Grade Ethanol Permit Requirements by State

    The resources found on this page is only intended to be a beginner's guide to the rules and laws active in each individual state.  Additional local (county, city, borough, township, etc.) regulations or restrictions that are not covered here may apply to your destination address, inhibiting or infringing on your ability to have Culinary Solvent shipped to you.  We strongly advise all our customers to research the regulations of their local area to the fullest extent possible before ordering.  While we will do our best to post updates as soon as we are aware of them, this page should not be considered your first or only resource if you are uncertain about your state's or locality's regulations on shipping food grade ethanol. 

    Also, not all states use the same words to describe non-beverage ethanol products like Culinary Solvent.  Some local regulations might use the following terms to refer to food grade ethanol interchangeably:

    • nonvolatile solvent
    • industrial alcohol
    • non-denatured/nondenatured/undenatured ethyl alcohol
    • alcohol used for manufacturing

    Be aware that you may need to learn the preferred terminology of your locality while researching regulations for shipping/receiving ethanol in order to find the correct information. 

    If you see any incorrect or out-of-date information on this page, please feel free to contact us to help us make this the most effective resource possible! 

    Shipping Availability by State

    Green - Good to Go!

    Permit Required: See More Details

    Permit and Five-Gallon Minimum Required: See More Details 

    Not Available to Ship: Check Back Later 

    International Destinations

    At this time, we do not offer shipping to areas outside of the lower 48 United States.  We do not ship to Canada, Mexico, or other international destinations at this time.