Is Culinary Solvent the same as Everclear?
Culinary Solvent and Everclear are each food grade ethyl alcohol products that share many similarities while simultaneously differing in important ways. Both products are pure ethanol, nondenatured and safe for human consumption. Is one product better than the other? That answer is for you to decide.
This page intends to set the record straight. After a brief introduction of each product, I hope to provide examples of how they are similar, followed by examples of what makes each unique. Post comments below, tweet me @CulinarySolvent or use my Contact Form. -Scott (AKA Mr.Tincture)
What is Everclear?
Everclear is a brand name, non-denatured, ethyl alcohol (ethanol, grain alcohol) product derived from 100% corn. Everclear 190 proof is designed and sold in some states for use as a beverage. Everclear is available in two different strengths including the popular 190 proof (95% ABV) as well as 151 proof (75.5% ABV). Everclear is manufactured in the USA by Luxco, Inc. The word "Everclear" is a trademark of Luxco, Inc, and is not related to Culinary Solvent in any way, shape, or form. Everclear is available for sale from brick-and-mortar retail stores in glass bottle sizes ranging from 500 ml to 1.75 L. For more information about where to buy Everclear 190 proof, visit the Luxco company website at www.luxco.com. Everclear Bottle Image Credit: Bevmo.com.
What is Culinary Solvent?
Culinary Solvent is a brand name, non-denatured, ethyl alcohol (ethanol, grain alcohol) product derived from 100% corn. Culinary Solvent is available in 190 proof (95% ABV) and 200 proof (100% ABV) varieties. Culinary Solvent is available made from 100% certified organic non-GMO corn. Culinary Solvent is distilled in Brewer, Maine, USA by The Northern Maine Distilling Company, operated by the founders (a husband and wife team who started the distillery in 2006). Culinary Solvent is available for sale from CulinarySolvent.com, shipped in leak proof bottles ranging in size from Quarts, Gallons, 5 gallon jugs, and 55 gallon drums. If this sounds like the right product for you, Buy Culinary Solvent online here, else please continue reading.
Culinary Solvent vs Everclear:
Both Culinary Solvent and Everclear are pure food grade ethanol products which contain no additives making them safe for human consumption. Both Culinary Solvent and Everclear are nondenatured ethanol, meaning neither contains that prevent the safe consumption by humans. There are important similarities between Everclear and Culinary Solvent. There are equally, if not more, differences as well.
What is similar between Culinary Solvent and Everclear?
- Both, Culinary Solvent and Everclear, are brands of pure food grade ethyl alcohol products.
- Both, Culinary Solvent and Everclear, are non-denatured, contain zero additives, and are both safe for human consumption.
- Both, Culinary Solvent and Everclear, are distilled in the USA from 100% corn.
What is different between Culinary Solvent and Everclear?
- The Pot Still, a Vastly Superior Distillation Method: Culinary Solvent is distilled using a pot still for superior purity, neutrality, and quality over the competition. Conversely, Everclear 190 proof alcohol is distilled using an industrial scale reflux column. While large industrial scale processes can offer discount ethanol due to their massive economies of scale, the equipment design inherently limits the purity obtained by that distillation. Only small scale pot stills with fixed batches to work through are capable of truly rectifying the distillate through removal of the heads and tails of the distillation run. Culinary Solvent is the only 190 proof alcohol and 200 proof alcohol distilled using a pot still for superior quality and purity.
- Alcohol By Volume: Culinary Solvent is available in 190 proof (95% ABV) and 200 proof (100% ABV) options. Compare to Everclear's 95% alcohol content to Culinary Solvent's 100% alcohol content. Additionally, some state's further restrict the availability of high proof beverage alcohol, limited to 151 proof or 75.5% ABV. Culinary Solvent's 100% alcohol content 200 proof food grade ethanol provides customers with more of the molecule (the ethanol) that does the work for high quality botanical extractions and tinctures.
- Organic Certification: Organic Culinary Solvent is distilled using 100% organic corn and is a certified organic product by the Maine Organic Farmer's and Grower's Association. Everclear 190 proof does not offer an organic option. Customers seeking an organic alcohol to maintain the organic certification of their process find Organic Culinary Solvent the perfect organic alcohol solvent for their certified organic process. A copy of our organic certification available upon request.
- Availability: Culinary Solvent ships to most residential and business addresses in the lower 48 states, often without a permit. Even if your state currently prohibits the sale of Everclear (California, Ohio, Maine, or Florida) on the local store shelf, Culinary Solvent's non-beverage alcohol status means we can still ship to you direct. Visit our helpful list of "US State Alcohol Rules - Can we ship to your state?" to learn more about if your state laws permit the shipment of Culinary Solvent to your home or business address, visit our helpful list of States with links to more information on each.
- Convenience: No more visiting liquor stores searching for handles of Everclear, Culinary Solvent is ordered securely online using our 24/7 online store and shipped fast via FedEx ground to your direct from the distillery. If you will not be home at the time of delivery, customers may choose to have their Culinary Solvent order held at a nearby FedEx location for pickup at at time that is convenient for their busy schedule. Most all orders placed on the CulinarySolvent.com secure online store ship the same day, or the following day.
- The Right Tool for the Job: No more trade offs on ABV or proof because of state laws beverage laws. Culinary Solvent's ABV options and choice of organic or non-organic corn provide customers of every scale and project type they ability to choose the right food safe ethanol for the task at hand.
- Professional Supply Experience: Tired of explaining to your accountant that the liquor store receipts are a legit "business expense" for your operation? Ditch the box of scrap-paper register receipts and annual year-end explanation, for a more professional experience with Culinary Solvent. Expense tracking for business customers is made easy with descriptive receipts that are emailed to you directly by a reputable company. Have a special request, need to expedite the order, or wish to modify the order the purchase, we are always available to assist, in any way you need or we can think of.
- Bulk packaging and delivery: Culinary Solvent is shipped in quarts, gallons, 5 gallon jugs, and 55 gallon drums, and 270 gallon bulk totes. Everclear is capped at 1.75 liters per bottle (59 fl oz or just under 1 half-gallon). Customers seeking small or large quantities of 190 proof food grade alcohol may choose the volume of Culinary Solvent that meets the needs of their specific operation.
- The People: If you need assistance buying Everclear, Good luck getting help from the part-time liquor store clerk....what are the chances you've even ever heard of Everclear's parent company Luxco? Culinary Solvent is owned, operated, and distributed internally by a passionate team of engineers, distillers and overall ethanol experts. The people that make Culinary Solvent are the ultimate guarantors of quality of your food grade alcohol, and are available to assist or contact when you need them. Contact us here.
- Cost Savings of 15%, or more, over Everclear 190 proof: The average price to buy Everclear 190 proof in the US is currently $31 for 1.75 liter (59 fl oz) for a total cost of $0.52 per fl oz. Compare directly to 5 gallons of Culinary Solvent for $300 for a cost per fl oz of $0.46 for a savings of 15% over Everclear! The bulk volume discount increases with the order size. Save over 77% over Everclear when purchasing Culinary Solvent in bulk.
Where to buy Everclear 190 Proof?
As of 2021, we are not aware of any online retailers who will fulfill an order for Everclear 190 proof shipped to an address outside of the state where the online retailer is located. At this time, customers interested in purchasing the ethanol product branded as "Everclear" must visit a brick and mortar retail establishment located within a state that has authorized the listing and sale of the product in the first place.
If my state doesn't allow Everclear, can I still order Culinary Solvent?
Often, the answer is "Yes". While this depends on the individual state laws, checkout our map here, non-beverage nondenatured ethanol is still available (legal and permitted) for purchase and import. We have read all 50 state's alcohol rules and have built a database offering complete details on each state's specific rules and regulations. Search our database for your state's ethanol rules here.
Can I buy Culinary Solvent in California?
Yes. We ship to California, Maine, Florida, Ohio, Virginia and more. All orders are delivered to business or residential addresses via FedEx ground. Check out the map of states we ship to.
Where to buy Culinary Solvent.
Ordering pure ethyl alcohol online line is quick, convenient, and secure. All orders ship direct from the distillery in Northern Maine. Average order process time 1 day, delivery and tracking provided via FedEx Ground.
- Browse complete food grade ethanol selection.
- 1 Quart Organic 200 Proof Ethanol
- 1 Quart 200 Proof Ethanol
- 1 Gallon 200 Proof Ethanol
- 1 Gallon Organic 200 Proof Ethanol
Where to buy bulk 190 Proof Food Grade Ethanol
- 5 Gallons 190 Proof Ethanol
- 5 Gallons Organic 190 Proof Ethanol
- 5 Gallons Organic 190 Proof Ethanol
- Bulk 190 Proof Ethanol
- Bulk Organic 190 Proof Ethanol
- Is Culinary Solvent certified Organic?
- Who certifies Culinary Solvent's organic food grade ethanol?
- What will the packaging of my quart package look like upon arrival?
- What will the packaging of my gallon package look like upon arrival?
- What will the packaging of my 5 gallon jug look like when it is delivered to me?