Aromatic and distinctive, the Kaffir lime, also known as Makrut lime or Thai lime, is an exotic citrus variety that brings the allure of Southeast Asia right into your kitchen. In this blog post, we'll explore the journey of extracting the enchanting aroma of Kaffir limes using 200 proof food grade alcohol from Culinary Solvent.
Unveiling the Kaffir Lime
Native to tropical Southeast Asia, the Kaffir lime is a fascinating citrus species. Characterized by its unique bumpy skin, the lime is small and round, turning from green to yellow as it ripens. The taste is sour, similar to conventional limes, but it's the zest that truly stands out with its intense citrus aroma with hints of lemongrass and spice.
Selecting Kaffir Limes for Citrus Extraction
When choosing Kaffir limes, look for firm fruits with vibrant green skin. They should feel heavy for their size, indicating they are juicy. The skin should be smooth and free from blemishes, cuts, or dark spots.
Kaffir Lime Citrus Extract Recipe
To make your own Kaffir lime extract, you will need the zest of two Kaffir limes and 2 fl oz of 200 proof food grade alcohol from Culinary Solvent.
- Using a microplane or vegetable peeler, carefully zest the Kaffir limes, ensuring to avoid the bitter white pith.
- Transfer the zest into a clean, air-tight glass jar.
- Pour the Culinary Solvent over the zest, fully submerging it.
- Securely seal the jar and place it in a cool, dark place for about two weeks. Give the jar a gentle shake every few days.
- After the two weeks, strain the extract using a cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve. The resulting liquid is your homemade Kaffir lime extract!
Storing Your Finished Kaffir Lime Extract
It's best to store your Kaffir lime extract in a dark, cool place. Use a dark glass bottle to protect the extract from light, which can degrade it over time. Stored correctly, your homemade extract should maintain its vibrant flavor and aroma for up to two years.
Bringing an authentic taste of Southeast Asia to your culinary creations, Kaffir lime extract offers a fragrant twist to the ordinary. Its unique flavor profile lends itself beautifully to a range of dishes, adding an exotic touch to your cooking. So why not embark on this aromatic journey and try making your own Kaffir lime extract at home?